kate5kiwis: Dance me to the end of love...

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Dance me to the end of love...

A week ago. A wedding.
After all these years, I have a sister!!!

At the Two Bridges Hotel, in the South of England, Greg and Emma said their vows, and we danced until midnight. Hubby and I stayed in the Prince of Wales room (next to the Mrs Wallis Simpson room) and we slept in a four poster bed!!


The Hotel is grand: its rooms are filled with antiques and memoirs from the last century. We had the whole day to get ready, and I sneaked into the bridal suite to be with the girls as they got dressed; we did a bit of DIY on the bridesmaids shoes and fussed with the dresses.. and drank a glass of bubbles.. lots of giggles and excitement.

Emma looked radiant in an ivory strapless dress, layered with floaty organza, bejewelled with beads and sparkles. It was laced up at the back and the skirt spread to a train. Her hair was pinned up with pearls and curls. She held a bunch of cream roses. Classic.
Greg and the lads (hubby included) scrubbed up brilliantly in black tails, grey waistcoats, and peacock-blue ties.


Hubby and I read a poem to open the ceremony, and I even got to sign the register as a witness!! and after the vows were said ("I give you this wing..." Emma, you were a very Impressive Clergyman!!) there was much rejoicing outside with Pimm's-and-lemonade and photos.

The Wedding Breakfast (er, dinner) was divine.. we supped on Cornish crab and Dartmoor lamb, and NZ Cloudy Bay Pelorus 2001 bubbles to toast during the speeches: the NZ contingent sang a waiata to conclude Mum's very cool speech. Greg, I loved the way you spoke too.. you have the ability to time your words for max humour!!



..and then we danced!!! and danced!!!
Madeleine Peyroux serenaded the lovers during their first dance as man and wife. (I loved her so much, I bought her CD in Paris.)

We waved the bride and groom off to the honeymoon suite at midnight, and then we party-ed until three in the morning, when Cinderella's chariot arrived for Prince Charming and her, and they retired to the four-poster-bedroom.

Dance me to the wedding now,

dance me on and on

Dance me very tenderly

and dance me very long

We're both of us beneath our love,

we're both of us above

Dance me to the end of love

6 Comments:

Blogger flowerpot said...

looks like a great day, gotta love a wedding, and the sun was shining, thanks for sharing,

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness you HAVE A BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVED reading it….I felt like I’d been back to London and paris!!!!!!!!!

I can’t wait to hear all your stories!

See ya soon

Shaz

3:01 PM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

How gaw-geous! Glad everything went well.

4:31 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

What a beautiful ceremony! Thanks for sharing :)

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate this is divine, how utterly special for you all.
Your family look so happy, I am so happy you were able to share it with them....special moments.
You have a very special brood who know how to celebrate. i love the way both your M & D treasure the memories.
You have carried on their legacy too!
Life is not flippant for you my friend xxxx
Suz

10:55 AM  
Blogger Sarah McManus said...

oh, I just love that song!

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home