kate5kiwis: happy birthday D17-boy

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

happy birthday D17-boy


sweet seventeen
*blink*

you are so gorgeous!!!

and you are pushing six feet tall..


of course, all my baby-memories are floating back:

Me labouring in the huge claw-footed bath, my waters breaking and then us rushing to the hospital, me screaming at everyone to grab the suitcase and get in the car.

You arriving to stunned parents, the most beautiful baby in the world.

Me elated, gasping, "It's a baby! It's a baby!"
Uncle Eric calling Granny and GD from the hospital stairwell using the Banyanda walkie talkie call phones.

GD telling me that he's happy that I'm gonna breastfeed.

Taking you home to our beautiful sunny flat with the 1910 matai floorboards, that Daddy had moved all our furniture into while you and I were getting to know each other.
Those colicky evenings when Daddy and I would feed you gripe water and then count to ten until you'd chunder all over the big nappy we'd hold out under your chin... and then I'd feed you to sleep.
Thousands of white nappies floating on the line.

A few months later, Daddy and you taking the bus to university together so he could continue his studies while I became qualified as a teacher. I was heartbroken to be away from you. But Daddy and you really bonded over that autumn.
Then you went to the teacher's college creche. Learned to "I do it self!"... "OOOh, windy out 'ere!"... lion-bike days and birthday parties and the birthday song that we still sing: "Happy Birthday to you... how old are you now?? count the candles on the cake.."


Those were beautiful days. All of us new to the art of being together. All three in our little bubble.
Loving you has always been so easy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Oh thats soooo beautiful...you have all mothers everywhere in the world clutching tissues....truely. That's beautiful.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

How absolutely beautiful! Happy birthday to your son! It goes so quickly. *Sniffle*

1:08 AM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

happy birthday to your first born and happy anniversary on becoming a parent...waht an adventure, isn't it?

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel, you are such a gorgeous young man - Happy Birthday to You. I love the way you think nothing of getting down and dirty and playing with your younger siblings, and my children when we are round you. I love the way you spend time genuinely chatting with me, your Mum's crusty old fat friend, without making me feel like I'm just that, lol! You are a truly wonderful young man and I'm blessed to know you.

Of course, I blame your parents for growing you so well ;o)

Deb

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home