kate5kiwis: Saving The World, One River At A Time

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Saving The World, One River At A Time

Fleur is my childhood friend. I first met her when we were both twelve, and we've been bosom buddies ever since, despite the fact that she went to the school ball with Bulldog when we were sixteen and whom she knew I was hopelessly in love with (let it go, Katie lol). Even though she has lived in Cambodia for the past eight years and we're So Far Away in NZ, our friendship is still alive and kicking. I've always admired Fleur's energy and compassion for others. Fleur doesn't just trawl cafés in search of the perfect coffee: she inspires people and gets involved in their lives (whilst trawling cafés in search of the perfect coffee).

Over the last two years, Fleur and a leading Khmer artist,
Leang Seckon, have been realising their hearts' desires to creatively raise awareness of local environmental issues.
They've called it The Rubbish Project and the last month has seen them gathering local talent and 150 kilograms of plastic and lengths of rattan and nylon and finding their muse...
which is culminating in the appearance of a 200 metre long recycled plastic NAGA on the Siem Reap River and a Trash to Fashion Show (clothes made from recycled materials) and Performance on 22 March if you're passing through FCC Angkor.
Which I wish I was.

Fleur, I'm so excited to vicariously live the life you're living, so amazed at your accomplishments, so inspired by your passion.
Love your beautiful life X

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You girls are so lucky to have one another. A lovely tribute. So admire Fleur.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

Great story, I love to read about real people making a difference. Inspiring my kids to think that maybe they could do the same. Too funny about the ball! My ratbag sister went to her ball with her now-husband but she actually came home that night with someone else! Took her a few more years to see sense...LOL

12:56 PM  
Blogger Liesl said...

I love stories about those who are contributing positive things to society!Fleu sounds like a wonderful lady.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Wow, Kate! That's amazing! I've got to show that "Rubbish Project" site to Mer! Her art classes just finished up a "multicultural week", and I bet they would LOVE to see pics of that Rubbish fashion show from Cambodia. The umbrellas (brollies? :) were fabulous!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Carnies said...

Hey dol, when I met Fleur at Shine Network meeting I knew she really had something - she sparkles like yourself and she is just so genuinely in love with her work in Cammers - amazing chick. Doesn't surprise me that you's are 'toit' together - you are peas in a pod. xx

3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home