kate5kiwis: dinky pinky: the good old re-fashioned way

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

dinky pinky: the good old re-fashioned way

R15 has always been a girly girl. Which is fantastic for moi, cos there's a lot of testosterone around here and I *love* having someone to share my own love of pink with. The other day as I was dashing around my fave fabric barn, I noticed the end of a bolt of polar fleece and could. not. resist.
So I bought it for Woozie, for her Birthday Extreme Makeover: yep, we're looking at a new quilt (cos we're all about The Quilt), a new austrian blind (cos the old blue-boy-roman-blind has been fixed and fixed and is looking so *skody*) and mayyyyybe a pink feature wall (just have to negotiate where to put all the furniture so that we can actually *see* the pinkyness) !!!!!

The instant her gorgeous sewing machine arrived, which even makes our breakfast threads its own needle (we are in SEWING MACHINE HEAVEN!!!) I edged the butterfly fleece in pink satin and turned it into a snuggly throw for watching movies in making huts with the end of R15's bed. And then we fossicked around for something to refashion into a curtain, and finally settled on a duvet-cover of mine that we unearthed from the death trap: be VERY careful how ya open the door linen cupboard, cos REALLY, pink gerberas are rather a girly thing to put on Bulldog's bed, aren't they? So we dyed the fabric girly-pink (cos it was originally white), and teamed it with an apple-green gingham from Floss's stash... and lookit:

one dinky pinky window to the world.

now to stop procrastinating get started on The Quilt...

11 Comments:

Blogger Rach said...

bee-yoo-ti-full
(yes two ls)

2:19 PM  
Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

I LOVE them both
I LOVE butterflies and gerberas are my favourite flower
jen

2:40 PM  
Blogger Sharonnz said...

How heart-warming that 15yr old young women still love pink bedrooms!!

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooohhhh!! I LOVE LOVE me some pink! I totally would have snapped up that fleece, too. Did I mention that I've run out of pink thread for my sewing machine waaaayyy faster than any other colour?

*ahem*

Awesome room. Lucky Woozie! :)

PS: Your bloggy banner totally rocks!

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

egads, dyeing and sewing and curtaining and edging and everythinging, you are a machiiiine! Very pinky perfick.
*mwah*

8:31 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

So pretty, so girly-girl, so fresh and flowery. I love the daisies! Have you seen this:

http://www.flor.com/service/flor/shop_by_model.html?mv_arg=Crazy_Daisy_02

It comes in squares you can lay down anyway you want. (Saw the brand at Gina Again's blog give-away.)

Anyway, that girl's room looks on the way to girl-perfect! Love the apple green gingham trim!:)

9:39 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Love it all.......the green edging just finishes it off......lucky Woozie:-)

10:50 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

rach
lovin' the ls (that always looks funny, pluralising one letter. i want to write "l"s or l's but both look stupid. what on earth is the convention?)
mwah X

jen
i agree, there is something so *fabulous* about gerberas. i have seven of them, all different colours, peeping out of my wine rack (yeah, they're fake... and they're a wonderfully inexpensive way of filling up the wine rack lol)
mwah X

sharon
yeah, it's rather gorgy. but hey, our red-blooded-kiwi-male S10's fave colour is... pink... a Very Boy Pink, mind you. none of this fuchsia stuff lol
mwah X

sarah
yay!!! i love my blog banner to bits'n'pieces. funny about your pink thread. the last huge threads i bought were black, white, and pink: the foundation of a thread collection imnsho
mwah X

sarah bean
i am *so* enamoured with this new sewing machiiiine. it makes everything *so* easy peasy. seriously, i don't know myself, i'm so used to pushing fabric through my Vintage Clunky.
*squeeeee!*
mwah X

laura
lol, so we could do floor, windows, walls... all in matching pink gerberas? woah, i think *that* would give me hayfever!!!
*grins, ducks and runs*
mwah X

rosie
yeah, to be honest, i'm not really a *green girl* but the gingham looks so perfick with the pink...
mwah X

8:55 AM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

Oh so totally gorgeous! You clever things you. A new sewing machine sounds like heaven, mine was making dreadful noises when Sophie was using it last night.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is *AMAZING* girl, I think how much my love of pink would have been validated if I was your daughter! Love it, and so worthwhile. xx

4:18 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

l.m.f.
yes, i *really* don't know myself. i am so used to my one-stitch-vintage-wonder (forwards and backwards, not even zig-zag!) that i've been sewing on for the past ten years, and now i wonder *why* i didn't get a mod one for *myself* earlier. something about the challenge of making things on the Ancient One...
i am a convert
mwah X

poppy-boppy
i think it's *YOU* who's cued me back into All Things Pink And Girlie.
though sometimes i sense a punk-phase coming on...
EN RA HA
mwah X

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home