kate5kiwis: "hey mum, ((smooch smooch)) what's for dinner?"

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Thursday, November 13, 2008

"hey mum, ((smooch smooch)) what's for dinner?"

this question would probably be asked by every child (if he/she has a mum/mom/mama - woah am i thankful today) at least once a day - so - so far that adds up to some three thousand three hundred times i've heard it already during the time of my mothering.

when i was a child, dessert was something we had on speshal occasions - so were cakes and bikkies - cos my mum said that if she baked them all the time, she would "eat all the pies".
there was Mum's Apple Pie - i still need to learn her pastry secrets, and homemade Christmas Cake and Little Christmas Fruit Mince Pies (Mum even made the filling from scratch - which is where i get my delight of making something out of nothing, i think).

this morning i had a quick chat with my friend Sharyn on facebook, and she confessed that she is sick of the predictable meat-and-three-vege at her place and would i please blog a "what's for dinner" section every day - ummm - there's nothing fancy at our place babe - actually i've been heading to BeanPlate for my inspiration this week - so i said that tonight we'd be having "something potatoey" for dinner and that our dinners are progressively getting simpler and cheaper and there's hardly any meat involved - yeah, i think i'm being influenced by Danny's "poor little piggies" and "poor little lambies" conversion. oh, and the fact that the cost of meat is skyrocketing and the poh-tay-toes even cost me eleven dollars a bag instead of last year's six dollars.


so tonight i am conjuring up poh-tay-toh wedges with chilli beans - which is actually "Yesterday's Muck Cooked Again" (Y.M.C.A. - a family joke) of the tomato topping i made for fresh pasta last night. with beans i am cooking myself (thanks, miss vickie) and a bit o'chilli. and grated cheese/sour cream for the non-waist-watchers lol.

AND WE WILL BE NEEDING DESSERT WITH THAT. because the dinner's kinda "b-o-o-o-o-r-r-r-r-i-n-g" (movie quote). this dessert is eaten in huge amounts by all and sundry - the topping on the fruit is reminiscent of anzac bikkies - mmmmm.

enter
Katie's Thirty Second Peachy Crumble
(it's the instant version of peel-and-precook-your-own-apples-crumble)
pop into casserole dish two huge tins peaches, drained.
(sometimes i add a few frozen berries or whatever)

in another bowl, mix together
1 1/2 c
rolled oats
1/2 c
raw sugar
1/2 c
flour
tsp
cinnamon, mixed spice
75g
butter, melted
sprinkle on top of peaches.
bake 20 - 30 mins in moderate oven (180 celsius in NZ lol) and it will turn out like this,
'cept 'twill be golden brown.
spoon large helpings into bowls and pour hot homemade custard (out of a box, lol)
over the top.

yeah, i love that smoochy dinner question.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU DID IT!!!!!! Go Katie! Thanks. Now I'll go look at those links and I'm feeling the inspiration. xx

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm blogging food today too. Do you think everyone will think us kiwi's are obsessed with our stomachs :)

I brought some Flight of the Concords badges today, The Mother Flippin' Ryhme-nocerous, and the Hip-hop-opotamous.
Giggle.
They have me in stitches with that one!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Nova said...

ooo thank you! another scrummy thing at roughly the level i can handle! yum yum yum..

(and i'm with Mr Dan ;) poor little piggies & lambies! 'cept i'd add poor little molluscs!)

6:41 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

shazzzzzzzz
maybe i'll swap ya some meat'n'three for some beans lol - i have a real hankerin' for fried chicken... (movie line!)
mwah X

hey hay
yeah, can't work out which song's my fave - am coveting your badges though - HEY! did ya used to cover your army-school-bag in badges? you could start a collection on yer jeans bag!!!
mwah X

nova
lol at the molluscs!! yeah, that lad has interesting logic!
mwah X

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am! Hahahaha. I just brought a whole stash, and I'm hot footing it into the city this weekend to my hippy dippy Cuba Mall, to see the badge man for more!

8:12 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

hay
woozie is seriously coveting your badges and is wondering if she can swap ya one or two for a stash of homemade Roald Dahl's ButterGumBalls? (from The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me).
trust me, these are seriously GOOD!!!
*drool*
mwah X

8:16 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Oh I am now sooo hungry! Keeping food ideas fresh, new and spicy is definitely the way to achieve a happy, contented home life!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Good. I need some inspiration. With Mark away, it is way too easy to become a family of foragers.

Last night the boys had frozen pizza and Mer had a frozen veg lasagne. What? I said I needed inspiration!

I gots people in this family who won't eat "cooked fruit". What is that about???

Okay, so tonight, hmmm, what's on the family dinner table?

3:34 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

I have been so bad about cooking lately. I do so much running around taking the girls to their activities I barely have time to keep dishes clean, much less cook delicious and nutritious meals. At least I can make the girls help out. :)

5:24 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

steve
lol - we're all about the "happy tummies" here!
the chocolate coating makes it go down easier - but ya'll have to wait fifteen minutes before potency...
(movie line) X

laura
mmm - as a kid, my brother preferred raw veggies to cooked. and raw is definitely the healthier option. plus it's way easier to throw a fruit platter together than to faff about in the kitchen lol.
not sure about tonight - am thinking *salad* cos Olly The Chef gave me two bags of mesclun leaves yesterday. i am thinking - a huge salad of green leaves, toasted sunflower seeds, cucumber, tomato - all that kid-friendly stuff!
and there is a chocolate cake in the oven too, think it'll last 'til Danny gets home tomorrow??
it'll take a miracle...
(movie line) X

barb
i know what ya mean - i *love* my pressure cooker - it makes delish thick w*nter soup in ten minutes. and i love my crock pot too.
'twill be interesting to see what i cook up when i'm *working* in a year or two.
*closes eyes, puts fingers in ears, dances around the room*
i'm not listening, valerie...
mwah X

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, that looks delicious and so easy. I have been on a menu planning kick, so I have had a plan for two weeks straight and stuck to it so far. Make suppertime so much easier for me.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too love hearing whats for dinner. 3 meals a day plus snacks for the last 15 years burns me out! Ha...that was funny only if you knew how much I really burn our food.

Anywhoo, yes a "whats cooking" thing would be great!
Kisses,
a.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home