kate5kiwis: take me to that other place

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

take me to that other place

one of the things i most adore about homeschooling is that when we awake to a bright blue-skied day, there really is no option but to down tools, jump in the Tardis and dodge cars over the bridge for fifteen minutes until we arrive at our heavenly expanse of surf and golden sands - and i stretch out a towel and begin my sun worship while the lads spread out with a big spade and see if they can dig to China - and i lean over and snap this shot
while twirling eddies of sand waft up the beach - and suddenly the lads drop the spade and head off into wider opener spaces, up a rocky tussock-topped hill and practise flying from the sky to the dusty mounds below, sharing thrills and squeals - and i contemplate a surfy stroll and wet saltness in my hair, my nostrils fill with warm scents of yesterday's footprints and washed-up weed, and my ears ring like the inside of a seashell - i look up to the passing view of a dreadlock-haloed homme, sashaying along in jandals, the sand his swishing staccato, and i stuff my Turning Forty book back into my bag - and i wonder - and i think of all the beautiful people who've shared this air with me - the ones who've walked before, and the ones who'll come after - and i check the clock on my pink phone and realise that it's "time to turn"...

5 Comments:

Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

looks like a great day
you beach lovin peoples

Jen

2:42 PM  
Blogger CC said...

yeah baby, roll on summer and beach weather!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

perfect day x

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha you do that too? My sons tease me relentlessly for being such a stickler for regular timed turning!

Sounds like a perfect day. Wish I could have been there too. My sons are very enthusiastic diggers and I am great at directing the sun's rays (you have to direct them you know!!)

Lucky you!!!

2:03 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

jen
it was absolutely perfect! i could live on the beach X

cc
summer is totally my fave season. there's no beating that heat! X

rosie
yes, it was. Bulldog is talking about selling up in ten years and moving to an apartment on the beach. i think we'll be winning lotto before then lol X

rb
yeah, at this stage of the proceedings, it's twenty minutes a side lol.
what's this about "directing rays"? Down Under there's no need for direction - it's sunshine. all. around. baby!!! X

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home