kate5kiwis: On the Tenth Day of Christmas

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

On the Tenth Day of Christmas

i've made sixteen aprons this year - or maybe seventeen - i've lost count.
today i made my last apron of 2008 - it's been nearly a whole year of "cutting my apron strings" - watching my beautiful son embrace the Big Wide World - from two hundred kilometres down the road. i have always been a motherly type - when i became pregnant at nineteen, my Daddy said to me, "i always knew you'd be a good mother, i just wish it wasn't so soon," and i think i felt like that with Danny leaving home too - i've been thinking, "
wowsers - how fast your childhood has gone - i always knew you'd be a fabulous adult - but so soon?"
to be honest, this year has been such a roller coaster - our firstborn leaving home has heralded Bulldog's and my mid-life journey, and with it the tumultuous upheaval of another season - a wonderful change of pace to be anticipated in the new year - all of us going to school. i've rambled on long enough about that on here - i think we're nearly ready.
why oh why do i feel things so deeply?

about a month ago, my friend Mel asked me to create a girlie apron
(muchos gracias to my resident headless chicken model - i think it looks better with b**bs - but we couldn't nail a good photo - where oh where is Hay when ya need her?)for her daughter Georgia's Christmas pressie - cos Georgia has recently found her muse in Nigella Lawson.
one of her fave colours is aqua, so i matched some fabrics and went to town. actually i procrastinated for the whole month -
not really wanting to say goodbye to my apron-making. maybe i'll continue making aprons in my spare moments next year, then?
it's been such a joy to make and give aprons away to friends this year - sharing the love around the globe - what a wonderful transition to the next phase of cutting those apron strings - let's go 2009!!!
we're gonna keep the heart strings connected tightly though.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good blog.
Carlos
Portugal

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh...Christmas....bannner....blinding....me

*giggle*

You da hiphopoptomus of apron making. Just get BD to write your essays, you'll have plenty of apron making time ;)

11:09 AM  
Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

I LOVE your Christmas banner
did you design it yourself???

and I also like very much the apron

Jen

12:01 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

It's lovely. You can't give up making aprons you know. You are too good at it now.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

To feel things deeply is to experience life to the full... be proud of it!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

lovely apron aunty, and gorgeous new blog header. very Christmas-y
x

1:52 AM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

I tell you what: Your models must love their momma to be so helpful! Somehow, I envision myself chasing Owen around the house with my camera and an apron, to no avail.

Beautiful apron!

The change of pace is exciting. Sometimes you gotta shake things up -- and happy and hopeful, not fearful and dread-filled, is the way to do it.

It's life -- It's a journey and it's about trying things, not about staying safe. (I don't know what I'm talking about, by the way -- Laura in her cocoon.) It's all good. :)

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just love your aprons, who knows maybe you will do a couple next year, in your free time ;)

8:35 AM  
Blogger Ardern said...

Honey you did a beautiful job of the apron, was worth the wait and craziness in your head about it. Thats gotta be my fav, love the colour. You know what? Tummy buttons are our reminder that we were once attached to our mother but released at birth, we just looked after them until they could look after themselves. xxx

10:05 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

YUM I love the apron, it's so cool. Gorgeous colour, you really are the 'worlds greatest apron maker'. I never ever thought I would want/need an apron as I use every excuse know to man to stay out of the kitchen, but yours are so lovely I'm inspired to make one. Perhaps this will magically also make cooking FUN.......... sending Christmas love your way! X

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie! I love the apron soooo much! Pretty , pretty, plus polka-dotty. Yum!

Love your fancy new header, too.

xx

PS: Why is my word verification 'motel'? Is it trying to tell me something?

12:23 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

carlos
hi there X

hay
soz about the banner - am wondering how to "doctor" your christmas, er, December Card? X

jen
ah - yes you know i am all about the DIY - i find photobucket very katie-friendly! X

gina
see - its really funny - cos i still forget to wear an apron when i'm flossing around the kitchen - i always wipe my hands on my jeans lol X

steve
oh you are so *half full* about it - thanks! X

abbs
oh i really miss you when you call me aunty
get your mother on a plane and come and SEE ME!!!!! X

laura
i had to promise the headless photo - and be quick about it - he was so obliging - really resisted the girly-feeling lol.
yes - happy and hopeful
that shall be my new mantra - love it X

anna
i have loved every apron - my fave part is the designing - and then i love the way they take shape!
i guess i do have a few more apron strings to cut over the next decade lol X

magsie
oh, you love the aqua? it's very surfy - reminds me of the Greek Islands!!!!!
thanks for the tummy buttons chat - you are so right X

julie
the 'worlds greatest apron maker'
you make me giggle!!!
thanks for the love - yes - go on - make a Flower Fairy Julie Apron - i'm really looking forward to seeing the pics!!!! X

sarah
oh thank you!
word verification 'motel'
uh, you need a girls' weekend?!!!! X

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this girly apron! It's gorgeous!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

Good for you for getting that last apron done. Looking forward to seeing what you create in 2009!

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home